Friday, March 16, 2012

Potty Training the New Puppy

Puppies should be fed 3 times a day until they are 6 months old, and then 2 times a day for the rest of their life. Vets generally agree that the old once a day feeding for adult dogs is much harder on their stomach, whereas as twice a day which consists of 2 smaller meals works better. 

Young puppies don't have a sense about "holding it".  When they have to go, they just stop right in the middle of what they are doing and let 'er rip!  Therefore, it's important to take them out often.

I was having a jolly old time playing with Star climbing all over her and biting her ears and tail.  I even stuck my little head in that big mouth and she didn't even bite me.  I have no idea why I did that except I wanted to see what it looked like up close and personal.  She was very patient and gentle with me.

Right in the middle of our playing, I had to pee, so I just stopped and went.  Star didn't like that at all and got up and walked over to a contraption called the doggie door.  She disappeared right through the door and I could see her outside.  So I thought, well if she can go through it, so could I and off I went.  Wow, was that fun! 

I could see Smokey Joe through the glass in the door and for some reason, he didn't look very happy.  He came out, picked me up and brought me back to the spot where I had left a puddle on the floor.  He started talking very loud and I just couldn't imagine what was wrong with him.  He just kept saying, "Bad dog!"  I didn't know what he was saying, but somehow I knew I was in trouble.  Just then, Jodi came into the room, and saw what the commotion was all about.  She picked me up and held me close.  Ahhhh, this was much better.  Then we all went outside where she put me down.  How did she know I wasn't done yet?  This time when I did number 2, everyone was happy and I got lots of love and nice sounding voices from Smokey and Jodi. 


Tip:  Right after you feed your puppy, take him outside to a designated spot and tell him to "Go pee", "Get busy", or whatever you want to call it.  Just be consistent.  Because he is young, and his bladder isn't fully developed yet, he will go right away.  When he does, praise him and tell him what a good dog he is.  When we are training, we usually take our puppies out every 2-3 hours.  They housetrain very quickly using this method.  If that's not possible, put him in his crate until you can take him out.  Most dogs don't like to soil the area where they sleep.  But, don't make him wait too long, he's still a baby.  Have a heart - he can only hold it so long.

I enjoyed being outside in the garden.  So many new scents and little places to explore.  After my next feeding at noon, Jodi took me back outside and put me down.  Of course, I followed Star around everywhere.  When Jodi said, "Get busy", Star immediately found her spot and went, so I did too.  I was so cool!  Jodi was smiling, and out came Smokey Joe.  I looked at him, and he picked me up and told me what a good boy I was too.  I am such a cool dog - I can tell!  Jodi calls me Smush face and I think I like that.

After my dinner, Star went out through the doggie door over to our spot, and I followed her.  Guess she was making sure I didn't screw up this time.  OK, so I get the idea.

Cinders came out after us, and went to a totally different place in the garden.  She can be so disagreeable - such a prissy girl.  And I would find out later that Coco cat had a littler box for her "business".  I made a mental note to find it one of these days when I am allowed to go into other parts of the house.  Right now, I am confined to the kitchen.  That's fine with me.  It's a big room from my point of view, and I have lots of toys to play with.

It's evening now.  Both Smokey Joe and Jodi hold me in their laps and talk to me a lot.  I don't know what they're talking about, but I know it's good stuff because I get lots of hugs and kisses.  And I hear my name, Jessie, mentioned a lot in nice, soft tones.

I think I'll go to sleep now right in Smokey's lap.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment