Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Magical Day in the Garden

My first day exposed to the patio garden was such a thrill!  There were so many new things to see, explore and smell.  It was truly magical!  It was completely closed in with a 6 foot wall with big pine trees and other flowering trees all around.  My very private garden.

Smokey Joe and Jodi were comfortably seated in their patio chairs keeping an eye out on me.  What could I possibly get into that would cause me harm?  So many things to see and explore.  Well, for one thing, they had a very lovely fish pond where about 30 Koi (big giant goldfish) lived and played which was complete with a high streaming waterfall.  That was the first place I went to explore because I could see those big fish swimming around in there.  Smokey had them trained to come up to the side and eat right out of his hand.  Quite amazing!  I wanted to jump in there and play with them too, but I was whisked away and given one of my play toys instead.  Puppies have a very short attention span.

There was just too much to see, and I got bored with my toy very quickly.  Next I ventured over to some beautiful flowers that grew up along side our privacy stone wall called roses.  Ouch!  They were prickly.  And what was that big black thing climbing up the wall behind the roses.  Jodi moved me away from there also explaining that roses could hurt my nose, and that big black thing was a Tarantula which were common in AZ.  She explained that they were actually good for the garden, but that we should not make them mad as they had a nasty bite.  Jodi was always talking to me.  I loved to hear her voice.

So, I was put back on the patio stone with my toys.  Smokey said I was very curious and it sounded like that was good. 

There was a tree called a Flowering Pear tree that was right there near the patio stone with its branches hanging right over us.  As I was looking up checking everything out, I saw a tiny little something hanging from one of the branches.  Smokey looked at me then also looked up to see what I was staring at.  He said it was a hummingbird's nest and the little 'hummers' as he called them would soon be having babies.  That gave us all something to check out every time we went outside to enjoy the garden.  The hummers were always zipping and zooming all around the flowers in the garden.

I was so busy exploring everything that soon I got tired and Smokey picked me up for a short nap in his lap.  I had just gone to sleep when I heard....Bark, bark, bark....What is that awful noise?  It was Cinders standing over near the top of the waterfall barking her fool head off.  One thing I learned is that Schnauzers are alarmists and very noisy.  What was she so excited about.  We all got up to walk over to the waterfall and see what all the commotion was about.  Smokey said it was a giant desert frog and it was watching the fish.  How did he ever get into our walled private garden is beyond me, but he was almost as big as me, so I wasn't going to get close to that thing.  I decided to stay close to Star, as I knew she wouldn't let that big brown thing eat me.

Also, right in the middle of the garden was a swimming pool.  Another place I had to be careful about.  I didn't know if I could swim, but Smokey said when it got a little warmer, he would take me for a swim.  OK.  That sounded good to me.  I just wanted to be with the family whatever they were doing.

It was time to go in, but I would have many enjoyable days in my magical garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment