Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How Much Should I Feed My New Puppy

Generally speaking, most dog food comes with the age and weight of the dog separated from small to large.  But you do have to consider the type of dog you have also.  For example, a Pug will eat as many times as you offer food which will cause the dog to be obese and unhealthy.  If still in doubt, you can check with your vet.

FYI - Please take your new puppy to the veterinarian shortly after you bring it home.  To keep a healthy puppy, you want to be sure to have your vet check for any parasites, worms, etc. that the puppy may have.  It is not uncommon for a new puppy to have some type of parasite, so it is very important to take it to the vets as soon as possible.
*****************

My first night in my new home was fine after Star stayed by my crate.  What a ginormous dog she was.  But, she seemed to care about me and we became fast friends.

What's the hub-bub going on in the kitchen?  Jodi is calling us asking us if we want to eat.  Sounds super to me - Breakfast!  And I'm really starved.  Why is everyone sitting there so patiently waiting?  Did Jodi say it was time to EAT?  Oh, I just love the sound of that word.

Since the other dogs are both bigger than me, I figured I should start jumping up and down next to Jodi and bark so she would be sure to see me.  Well, just look at that!  Cinders got her bowl first!  So I thought I would go over and share with her.  After all, that's what my siblings and I did - we all ate out of one big bowl.

Bad idea....Cinders not only growled at me, she snapped at me and scared the daylights right out of me.  Such a bossy girl.  I learned that she got her food first since she was the oldest dog.  When Star got her food next, I thought about going over there and sharing hers, but then I looked at that big mouth again, and didn't think it would be a good idea.  So I continued to jump and bark at Jodi-Mom.  She took me over to another place away from the other two dogs, and made me sit quietly for just a short moment.  Ugh!  All this waiting when I was starving to death!  I received my breakfast as soon as I quieted down.  Hope I don't have to do this every time for Pete's sake.  I could have finished my breakfast already.  As it turned out, I was still done before the other two.  Jodi said that I inhaled my food.  Wonder what she meant by that?

After I was finished with my breakfast, Jodi took all of us outside for a potty break and to play.

Note - Pugs eat very fast and sound like little pigs in the process.  Do not overfeed your puppy.  By the same token, if your puppy doesn't finish his food in 15 minutes, pick up what is left.  If you allow your puppy to free feed (eat all day long at his leisure), it will be very difficult to house train him.

No comments:

Post a Comment